For those Unfair Advantage subscribers who run automated market analysis systems, we have provided an executable file that will, with the help of Windows' Task Scheduler, automate the daily update procedure. (This is instead of using the automatic download timer in Communications Settings which requires that UA be left open.) It automatically launches the UA program, downloads all necessary days to bring your database current and finishes by updating the files listed in your current UA portfolio(s). Although market analysis may be handled through third-party software programs, the portfolio of desired data files must be maintained through Unfair Advantage.
This procedure is typically used to produce data files in ASCII, MS, CSI or CSIM format, which are then accessed by a third-party analysis program. The creation and maintenance of these export data files is handled through Unfair Advantage's portfolio system of data management. This method of data retrieval updates UA's full compressed database, which may be read directly by custom programs using the Application Programming Interface.
Scheduling the Task
The first step in arranging for fully automated updates is to place the file called "initiateUADownload.vbs" on the list of scheduled tasks as described below:
1) Double-click the Task Scheduler icon from the program tray at the edge of your screen:
The following displays:
This example shows some possible tasks. Your list may be different.
2) Double-click the "Add Scheduled Task" option. The "Scheduled Task Wizard" is launched. Click [Next] to proceed. The following displays:
3) Click the [Browse] button and navigate to the file "initiateUADownload.vbs" by first opening the UA folder (double-click it) and then double-clicking the file itself. The filename will be listed as "initiateUADownload" and may or may not have a .vbs extension. Once the file is selected, the following displays:
4) There is no need to change the name for this application, so you only need to select the frequency with which you want the task to be performed. This would typically be "Daily," but other options may be better for your applications. Click the radio button next to your desired frequency, then click [Next] to proceed. The following displays:
5) The above screen lets you set your desired data retrieval time and to fine-tune the frequency of task performance. Make your selections and click [Next].
6) A final screen will display confirming your scheduled task. Click [Finish] to complete the scheduling.
This feature can only work if your computer is turned on at the selected retrieval time and the scheduler is running.
UA must not be left in the middle of setting or editing anything.
Your normal method of access must be available to the system at retrieval time. This means that for Internet access, your computer must be online, or your browser must be set to automatically connect when a URL is requested. For direct dial access, the phone line must be connected and not in use. For browser users, UA will complete the update, but will not choose "Manual Database Distribute" for you. If your normal daily routine involves manually prompting UA to distribute data, then this step will still be necessary.
The "Prompt between download and distribution" and "Prompt between each day's distribution" feature on the Distribution 1 screen of General Program Settings (in UA's Preferences) must be disabled (not checked). The "Append Data Files When Possible" feature should be activated (checked). Other features on this screen may be disabled to reduce open windows on your computer that must be closed manually.
The choice to automatically launch another program ("Execute the command" on Distribution 2 screen) may also be useful with automated retrieval sessions.
The two lines of programming code included in the initiateUADownload.vbs file may be incorporated directly into your own custom programs.